- Today Western Digital has started shipping the world's first 1TB 2.5-inch drive, part of the WD Scorpio Blue series, as well as a 750GB drive.
Here are the details from their Web site
, to quote:
WD Scorpio Blue 2.5-inch drives offer high-performance, low power consumption and cool operation, making them ideal for notebooks and other portable devices.
• Massive capacity
- Whether they are in an external drive or a notebook computer, WD Scorpio Blue SATA drives continue to offer the highest capacity for space-hungry operating systems with plenty of room left over for photos, music, and video. A slight increase in overall drive height (750 GB and 1 TB only) has driven storage capacity for 2.5-inch form factor drives upwards to a realm once thought to be impossible.*
- In a notebook drive, silence is golden. WD's exclusive WhisperDrive™ combines state-of-the-art seeking algorithms to yield one of the quietest 2.5-inch hard drives on the market. These algorithms also optimize the way a drive seeks for data, which significantly improves power consumption. So now silence (and longer battery life) is golden.
• Reliable and rugged
- WD's ShockGuard technology protects the drive mechanics and platter surfaces from shocks. WD's SecurePark™ parks the recording heads off the disk surface during spin up, spin down, and when the drive is off. This ensures the recording head never touches the disk surface resulting in improved long term reliability due to less head wear, and improved non-operational shock tolerance.
• Fast and efficient
- Ultra-fast 3 Gb/s SATA interface speed yields performance fit for demanding mobile applications.
Tested for compatibility - We perform tests on hundreds of systems and a multitude of platforms in our FIT Lab™ and Mobile Compatibility Lab to give our customers confidence that our drives will work in their systems.
*750 GB and 1 TB models are 12.5 mm high and may not be compatible with all notebook systems. Consult system specifications for maximum allowable drive height before attempting to install.
Portable digital devices of all kinds including notebook computers, external storage, and digital media players.