129w ago - Today Gamerzines.com (linked above) reports that the Sony BRAVIA KDL-22PX300 TV which includes a built-in PS2 has arrived in the UK- pretty neat for those without a PlayStation 2.
Below are the specifications, and to quote: "Sony's 22" TV, which retails at £199, features a PS2 console integrated directly into the stand, letting you play PS2 games and watch DVDs without the need for a separate console.
The 720p TV also includes BRAVIA Internet Video Access, allowing you access to streaming services like YouTube and on-demand television, plus four HDMI inputs."
Sony BRAVIA KDL-22PX300 PS2 Combo 22" LCD with Bravia Internet Video and Ready for Wi-Fi Specifications:
• HD Ready: Enjoy your TV shows and movies with the detail and quality of high definition.
• TV combo consisting of a TV and a PS2.
• BRAVIA Internet Video: A new way of watching television, can easily see the programs of the service a la carte TV, or streaming audiovisual content on-line sites like YouTube without a PC.
• Prepared for Wi-Fi with USB adapter.
• HD TV tuner integrated MPEG-4 AVC: forget the set and access to TV services including HD channels with the tuner DVB-T and DVB-C tuner with a decoder. MPEG4 AVC (depending on country and with supported operators only).
• BRAVIA ENGINE 3: see pictures with breathtaking detail, contrast and optimal color tones more realistic than ever.
• Audio Output 10W (5W x 2).
• Ambient Sensor: let the TV automatically detects the brightness and color temperature of the ambient room lighting and optimize the image quality to always enjoy comfortable viewing images.
• XrossMediaBar: get the most out of your BRAVIA using the award winning XrossMediaBar intuitive menu to explore the TV functions, configure the settings and play content from connected devices.
• HDMI: four inputs (two rear, two on the side).
• USB Media Player plug a USB device and enjoy movies (MPEG4, AVCHD, DivX), photos (JPEG, RAW) and music (MP3) on TV.
• USB 2.0 (one side) and USB 1.1 (two in the base).
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
I feel like this could have been done way better than just slapping a PS2 on as a TV stand.. the footprint of the actual hardware could definitely be reduced to almost nothing.. perhaps they'll release a larger TV with a nicer implementation?
Once again like so many times I have to ask why PS2? The Playstation 2 has had its run for 10 years and the PS3 has been created. I've enjoyed many titles on the PS2 back then and it was cool but lets MOVE ON shall we?
Imagine if Sony started out with ALL PS3's having backwards compatiblity and focused more on the PS3 & PSP? In my opinion this PS2 thing has been dragged along too far by Sony. They need to let it go.