197w ago - When you are installing updates over the next week or so be aware that Microsoft has finally released their anti-piracy update (KB971033) which can cause issues for many Windows 7 users, even those who got their copy of Windows 7 legitimately.
To quote: "For those of you who have a pirated copy of Windows 7 or have bought your computer from Dell, Best Buy or Gateway where Windows 7 was pre-installed you may want to stay away from this update.
While it isn't supposed to make your operating system unusable, it will keep asking you to pay for it and will also make your wallpaper a boring blank solid color.
So before you decide to just install all of your updates when you shut down your computer make sure you check to make sure the file isn't downloaded and ready to install. This is of course if you did not install the operating system yourself or pirated it."
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
You can more then likely find your bios already modded to SLIC 2.1 by searching google. There is a site dedicated to modding the bios to 2.1.
Seeing I don't trust anyone but myself to mod my bios I do it myself. The tools used these days have come along way to point and click use. This will be the short sweet easy version to mod your bios to SLIC 2.1. This will make your PC OEM for whatever vendor you mod it for.
All these tools can be found by searching google. I will include the apps and certs along with all SLP OEM KEYS, the apps included will mod AMI, Award, Phoenix, and Insyde/Dell. These apps will pretty much be idiot proof seeing its point and click but I take no responsibility if you brick your puter
As for modding a Dell bios I'm not going to get into it too much but you will need RW-Everything (http://jacky5488.myweb.hinet.net/bin/RwV1.4.7.zip), you will have to run RW-Everything on the system to pull the APCI log and save all to output a good .rw log to use in the Dell bios mod tool. other then that its the same exact process as modding any other bios.
Ok to get started download this package: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MD1874VW (mirror this if you want)
Once you have this Bios Mod package extract it (if you don't know how to I wouldn't go any farther)
Make sure you know what type of bios you have, you can tell by entering your bios when your start your computer, it will say Award, AMI, or Phoenix, at the top of the screen. Pretty much all ell are Phoenix and come in .exe packages.
So after extracting the package above you will have the SLP keys for all versions of 7 except for Server 2008 but they are easy to find if you need them. the Phoenix tool is used for Dell/Insyde, I will start this tut for AMI/Award just apply the same way for DELL and include the .rw file for Dell bios.
This method is the same for AMI/AWARD small things mich change like ssv2 or ssv3, Dynamic and so on just let the program decide for you and if all else fails google for the answer.
Lets start: (we will assume you have an Award Bios and just downloaded the latest bios form your Manufacture's site)
1) Load up AwardTool.
2) Now browse for your bios file that you got from your MB manufactures site (make sure you have extracted it so you have the .rom or whatever extension your bios is supposed to be)
3) Select the manufacture in the drop down if it hasn't for you, if you dont see your manufacture just select other.
4) Now select the SLIC File and browse for SLIC (it will usually open up in the dir it needs to so just select DELL if you want)
5) Now Select the SLP File (This has to match the SLIC or it will not work!) so if you select DELL SLIC make sure you select DELL SLP
6) Browse for the Certificate (should be in the same folder as the SLIC) also Select the same Cert as the SLIC if you can but this one does not have to match up I just like it to)
7) It should auto select ssv3 or whatever it needs to for the method, If you don't know what your doing at this point and mess with one of those selections you can very well brick your system by using your modded bois so leave it where it sets it! 99% of the time for AMI/AWARD it will be ssv3
8) Click go when it finishes you will have your new bios with SLIC 2.1 tables and whatever you set the manufacture to be. the output file withh be whatever your bios name was with _SLIC so you can tell the difference.
9) Close and Reopen AwardTool and try to load your new SLIC bios if you did everything right it should pop up a window stating that this bios already has SLIC 2.1 Tables, I do this just to make sure it worked and to minimize the risk of a brick.
10) flash your bios and you now have an OEM PC you can use SLIC 2.1 to activate XP, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2003, Server 2008
Now here is a mini tut to activate your new copy of OEM windows.
1) Copy one of the 2.1 certs from my package to c:\ (try to use the same cert as the manufacture you set, 2.0 certs work also with Windows 7 but for the sake of things just use a 2.1 cert)
2) run CMD as admin and type cd \ to get to c:
3) type slmgr.vbs /ilc (name of cert) hit enter
4) type slmgr.vbs /ipk (SLP Windows Key) hit enter
5) wait a few seconds and a box will pop up stating key has been entered
6) you have a fully legit OEM copy of winblows installed enjoy
You can check to see it says activated by right clicking Computer/Properties scroll down and your legit.