212w ago - Today Activision is reporting that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 made $550 million in the first five days of the videogame's release.
It appears even in this challenging economic climate, Modern Warfare 2 is indeed a top seller setting a new entertainment industry record.
Press Release: Call of Duty┬®: Modern Warfare┬® 2 Sets All-Time Entertainment Industry Record Grossing an Estimated $550 Million Worldwide in First Five Days
Biggest Entertainment Launch in History Continues to Break Records
SANTA MONICA, Calif., Nov 18, 2009 - Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) announced today that Infinity Ward's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues to shatter theatrical box office and video game sales records for five-day worldwide sell through in dollars.
The biggest entertainment launch in history set a new worldwide estimated five-day sell-through record of approximately $550 million, according to internal Activision estimates.
Modern Warfare 2's launch beat all previous first-and five-day entertainment industry box office, book and video game sell-through records:
- The largest reported five-day opening worldwide box office gross figures, held by Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ($394 million)
- The largest reported five-day opening domestic box office gross figures, held by The Dark Knight ($203.8 million)
- The largest reported five-day worldwide video game sales record, previously held by Grand Theft Auto IV (6 million units, $500 million)
- The largest reported opening first-day domestic box office gross figures, held by The Dark Knight ($66.4 million)
- The largest reported first-day book sales in dollars, held by Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows ($220 million)
- The largest reported first-day worldwide video game sales record, previously held by Grand Theft Auto IV (3.6 million units, $310 million)
Modern Warfare 2's blast radius also extends to Xbox LIVE, in which the blockbuster title's epic release established the following new standards, according to Microsoft:
- More than 5.2 million multiplayer hours were logged playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the first day alone.
- More than 2.2 million unique gamers played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in one day on November 10th. A new one-day record for Xbox LIVE.
- More than 11 million achievements were unlocked on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the first day.
"In just five days of sell through Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has become the largest entertainment launch in history and a pop culture phenomenon," said Robert Kotick, CEO, Activision Blizzard, Inc. "The title's success redefines entertainment as millions of consumers have chosen to play Modern Warfare 2 at unprecedented levels rather than engage in other forms of media."
Despite the success of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Activision Blizzard remains cautious about the U.S. and global economy as well as other variables that can affect industry fundamentals and our own performance, including consumer spending which remains a significant concern.
Modern Warfare 2 is rated "M" (Mature) by the ESRB for Blood, Drug Reference, Intense Violence and Language. For additional information about the game, visit www.modernwarfare2.com.
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
Oh, fight over talking, lol?? Aparently that must be something you are accustom too, lol... Nnnaahh, not my intent at all. I appreciate everyone opinion. As you are entitle to it. Besides, I like the MGS4 comment, lol. That one I would agree with anyday of the week
lol value 6 hours of gameplay really sucks they can do more then that... if they want... but i guess they can milk us more on mw3, online play sucks eventually after 2- 3 months when people cant be bothered playing you will be stuck with hosts frm the US and lag the heck out of you if your not from the US, overall i'm glad i didnt purchase this... but have beaten it in one day... sigh.
You are reading me too fast, semitope, What I meant is cod:mw2 FOR ME at least has more value than uncharted(which I own too) because multiplayer and all the modes are longer plus a nice single player.
[QUOTE=ZBlacktt]I agree, not in this lifetime should COD ever be put in the same boat as ND's UnCharted games. Those are way way above the bar in game play, graphic visuals, story line, etc,etc. As for the online, well I'm level 50 and I enjoy it. But that is a preference thing as it is nothing like COD. [/QUOTE]
Value wise it can be compared because I was not talking about graphics which uncharted clearly beats every other game, except MGS4, out there.
Another thing is both of you can find value somewhere else where I won't and vice versa, so please don't start a fight over this.