186w ago - Following up on our previous article, today VG247.com (linked above) has reported that Sony's upcoming PSP2 will feature a touch-screen and two cameras.
As part of their E3 2010 reveal, the following details have currently surfaced on the PlayStation Portable 2, to quote:
• Multiple British sources have confirmed that PSP2 NDAs have been in place at publishers and developers for many months.
• PSP2 has two cameras, one forward and one backward facing.
• It has a touch-screen, but apparently it has retained the trademark physical PlayStation buttons.
• UK sources were previously working towards a "2010″ release. This is now "2011″.
• One source would be "amazed" if there was any kind of physical media involved. We've been told it "could" be 3G-enabled, as opposed to the WiFi-only PSP go. This bit was sketchy.
• Multiple PSP2 games are being made in Britain right now. Some have even already been canned.
• There have been "finished units" in the UK, but we haven't spoken to anyone that's seen a final case.
• When asked directly about reveal timing, one source said, "If the games were aiming for end 2010, beginning 2011, and now it's a 2011 release, I'd say a gamescom or TGS announce for launch early next year".
• One source told us the machine is based on a four-core Cell CPU. PS3 runs on an eight-core version.
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
Having a quad cell could consist of 1 222-666mhz main processor and 3 SPUs leaving one spu constantly running security... or your could have 2 lower clocked processors and 2 SPUs... the whole thing is a heat/battery life balancing act... i dont know exactly how they are going to do it but im sure sony could build something...
i'm sure when/if the psp2 is announced at E3 the details will be announced and we won't have to speculate about this anymore.
i found this on thesixthaxis.com:
the touch screen isn't that bad as long as there are the physical buttons... about the quad-core weeeeell who knows! i mean $ony brought you back in 2005 the most advanced hand-held console at that time, so i guess they're capable of making a powerful psp2.
but I'm not afraid of overheating issues at least $ony has a reputation in this matter,while about battery life i hope they learned their lesson from the original psp!
the actual "speed" of the processor means much less today than it ever did in the past. in today's processors, the speed of moving data through them is more important than the speed of "crunching" the data.
for example, would a 2.66Ghz core i7 be a faster processor than a 2.66Ghz core 2 duo e6750? the answer is yes.