OzMods states, to quote: "The final units have been delayed for everyone, not just us. So they should ship to us from China in a couple of days. The delay was due to them coding a new backup manager and locking their device to this manager, so that if anyone tries to clone, they can't use the software."
Below are a few rough translations of what other features are reportedly under development, however, this is only a rumor until officially confirmed of course.
Upcoming PS JailBreak Development Features via Logic-Sunrise:
• Support for all firmware.
• Support for NTFS.
• Supports Blu-ray and MKV.
• Support for PSX and PS2 games.
Upcoming PS JailBreak Development Features via ChipSpain:
• NFTS Support
• New version of Backup Manager 1.1 (OK)
• Compatible with all PS3 firmware
• Compatible with Blu-ray backups, PS2 and PSX.
• Auto Updater via your PC.
• Reproduction of video formats such as MKV and many well known programs like XBMC.
• You can always update the console to play online!
Upcoming PS JailBreak Development Features via DiscoAzul:
• Support for NTFS.
• New version of Backup Manager.
• Compatible with all firmware versions of the PS3 and later.
• Support for Blu-ray disc, PS2 and PSX.
• Auto Updater via PC connection.
• Ability to play. MKV and run hundreds of future applications like XBMC.
The features outlined appear to be similar, so here it to hoping this rumor ends up being true indeed!
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
PS3MS is a nice compromise, but is not as good as XBMC was. Having the player run on the PS3 as opposed to the PC avoids issues with crashing and the inherent loss of quality when transcoding. Crashes are rare, but having Ps3MS freeze and running down the hall to restart it is a chore. Also PS3MS has not been updated in 6 months ans still has some issues.
If you're worried about MKV support why don't you install PS3 Media Server on your computer, leave all your videos on the computer, and let the PS3 Media Server stream the content to your PS3?
PS3 Media Server will stream basically any type of video file you'll probably ever download. It auto converts the file for the PS3 at the same time it sends it to the PS3, so there is no long "conversion" process before you can play the file, its automatic and "instant".
I've been using it for a very long time now and nothing is easier.